Five Important Steps to Take After an Earthquake
- Stay Calm: If you are indoors, stay where you are, take cover under a sturdy table or desk, and hold on until the shaking stops.
- Check for Injuries: After the shaking stops, check yourself and those around you for any injuries. Administer first aid if necessary and call for medical help if required.
- Evacuate if Necessary: If you are in a building that has sustained damage, or if you are near the coast and there is a risk of a tsunami, evacuate the area immediately and move to higher ground.
- Check Utilities: Check for gas leaks, broken water pipes, and electrical lines. If you smell gas, turn off the main valve and open all windows and doors. Do not use any electrical appliances until you have checked for damage.
- Stay Informed: Keep tuned to the radio, TV, or social media for updates and emergency instructions. Follow the advice of local authorities and be prepared for aftershocks.